Herbs are such delightful plants that offer aromatic and culinary surprises. Creating crafts from herbs captures their aromatic properties and delights us for days and months. Crafts preserves their beauty as well.
Here are four crafts made from herbs that can provide aromatherapy that you can make for yourself or an elder.
- Herb Pillow – Herb pillows are pillows that can provide beauty, comfort, and relaxation depending what herbs you use. Here’s what you’ll need: fabric (muslin is a nice fabric to use); sewing machine; and herbs (I like to use lavender which is great for calming and relaxation), but you can also use chamomile, rose petals, or other favorite mixture of flowers and herbs. First cut two pieces of fabric the same size, keeping your pillow size on the smaller side. With right sides together, stitch around the edges leaving about ¼ to ½ inch seam allowance. Leave a small opening and insert the herb mixture. Continue stitching the pillow closed.
- Potpourri – Gather herbs, flowers from the yard like roses/rose buds/rose petals, leaves, small pine cones, or other natural things and combine them to make a potpourri. Using your favorite fragrant flowers will provide aroma to a room. Place them in your favorite open dish.
- Herb Posy – I like to make lavender herb posies and place them in baskets or homemade paper cones. Cut the lavender or other fragrant herbs with stems attached. Wrap the stems with floral tape or just tie them with a ribbon and place in a basket or paper cone. See this link on how to make a paper cone. Also see this post on how to make Spring posies.
- Sachet – Use your favorite mix of herbs and place them in a small bag that ties. These bags can be found at craft stores in the wedding section. Because all parts of the lavender are fragrant, I used lavender blooms, stems, and leaves.
- I use lavender because I grow it in my flower and herb garden. Consider planting lavender in this years or next years garden, then use the cuttings in crafts.
- You may also purchase herbs on line.
- These crafts also make wonderful gifts in addition to their aromatic benefits.