Summer offers so many outdoor and outing opportunities for older family members.
Here are some ideas for the whole family to take part in.
- Picnic in the park
- A visit to a botanic garden. See A Botanical Garden Visit for more information.
- Attend a play, concert or go to see a movie.
- Lunch at a favorite spot.
- Shopping for needed items or just for fun.
- Take a scenic drive in the city, country, or backcountry. See National Parks Pass for Seniors for information on an older person obtaining a pass for National Parks.
- Community events such as fairs, local park events, parades, farmers markets, and other events sponsored by your city or county.
- Butterfly pavilion, aquarium, zoo, animal sanctuaries or other animal habitats.
- Library to check out books, movies, or to attend story time with a younger grandchild. Check out Great Library Resources for Older Persons.
- Sporting events such as watching a baseball game, watching a child play soccer or baseball, playing golf, bowling, or miniature golf. Also consider backyard games. See 10 Timeless Games to Play for ideas on outdoor games.
- Check places and events for accessibility ahead of time if needed.
- Consider how much walking is involved and if there are places to rest, depending on your situation.
- Watch the weather and consider hats, jackets, umbrellas, and sunscreen.
- Always a great idea to pack snacks and water for anyone who might need it. If medicines need to be taken, taking water on trips is always a good idea.
- Consider your older loved ones routine which might include rest times, snacks, and medicine.