How often do we go out and forget the names of the flowers and vegetables we planted?
For me that is quite often especially when I am showing someone my garden. I’ll sometimes forget the names of my herbs or what type of flowers I planted.
For an older person who loves gardening, placing plant markers around the yard may be helpful in remembering their favorite plants. Creating plant markers from sticks and rocks can be something a child and grandparent or grand friend can do together.
- Large flat rocks
- Sticks-I used jumbo sized wooden sticks
- Paint and paint brushes and a paint marker (optional)
- Stamps and stamp pads (optional)
- Paper towel
- After finding your rocks scrub them with a paper towel to take off any excess dirt and make them clean for painting or stamping.
- Make a list of plants you would like to identify in the garden or yard.
- Garden markers can be made from wooden sticks or from rocks. We used both.
4. There are many ways of marking the sticks and rocks. You may paint your rocks and sticks first. Let dry, then write the name of the plant on it. You may also choose to leave your rock natural, write the name of the plant, and try stamping with stamps. Smaller stamps seem to work best on a flat surfaced rock. Experiment with the art materials. There is no right or wrong way. Just have fun.
5. Place your garden markers near the plant to identify it.
6.Next time you go for a walk in the yard or garden with your older family member or friend they will be able to identify it easily.