When I was a young girl Church Window Cookies was part of the tradition of Christmas baking at my house. My mom and I still enjoy making these today.
If you have never made these cookies you will understand after you make them why they are called Church Window Cookies.
These colorful cookies are easy to make and it only takes three main ingredients unless you enjoy adding a few more items which I will note below. Enjoy these simple and quick cookies!
Ingredients and Supplies:
- One package of milk chocolate morsels (Use semi-sweet if you enjoy the darker chocolate)
- One stick of butter (1/2 cup)
- One package of colored miniature marshmallows
- Wax paper
Directions for Church Window Cookies:
- In a heavy saucepan melt the stick of butter on low heat.
- Immediately after melting add the bag of milk chocolate morsels. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and continue to stir and let cool for about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the bag of multi-colored miniature marshmallows. I personally do not add the entire bag as I enjoy a more chocolatey cookie, so I added about 2/3 of the bag. You may add as much as you wish. Mix the chocolate mixture and the marshmallows.
- Rip off a piece of wax paper and place on the counter.
- Pour the chocolate and marshmallow mixture onto the wax paper in the form of a log. Wrap up the wax paper tight around the log to keep it firm. Place this into the refrigerator for at least two hours or until hardened.
- Once the log hardens take it out of the refrigerator and slice it into cookies.
- Many people enjoy their cookies sprinkled with coconut flakes before placing it into the fridge.
- Many folks also enjoy walnuts in their cookies which you can add in the mixing process.
- Reminisce about this cookie with an older family member or about other favorite cookie recipes.