Trying to think of ways to help an older family member beat the heat?
Here are a few ideas for keeping cool in these hot summer months:
- Stay hydrated with water, tea, lemonade, popsicles, or iced pops. Make drinks fun by placing them in a fancy glass, glasses that have been chilled, or glasses with garnishes such as decorative straws, orange slices, lemon slices, or other fruit slices. Share an iced cold drink or treat while you reminisce!
- Have a cool snack such as ice cream or your loved one’s favorite ice cream treats. Also enjoy smoothies made of your favorite fruits, yogurt, and juices.
- Stick feet in a cool tub of water or in a kiddie pool with the kids. Be careful to dry your loved one’s feet when finished so they do not slip.
- Enjoy squirt gun battles with the grand kids. You can do this from a seated position if needed. Be careful of slippery surfaces.
- Attend a recreation center to swim and/or water walk. Check with a doctor before your loved one starts any exercise program.
- Visit places that have air conditioning. Visit a friend’s home, go shopping, go bowling, or go out to lunch.
- Toss water balloons with the grand kids. Have the kids make a bunch of water balloons and toss the water balloons back and forth. If you miss the catch, you may get wet! You can also do this from a seated position. Again, be careful of water balloons that break and result in slippery surfaces.
- Wear hats and sun screen.