Here are fourteen fun things to do with an older member of the family or just for times when you need to lighten the mood.
- Tell jokes! If you haven’t heard any good jokes lately, look some up online or check out a joke book at the library. Everyone can use some good laughs once in a while.
- Play some simple games like hangman, I spy, tic-tac-toe crosswords, or other games. If the children are around get them involved too!
- Get on the internet and look at videos, maps, webcams, pictures you have stored, images of interesting things, interesting educational sites, play games, or look at social media together.
- Play some incredibly great music to shake a leg to.
- Take photos and selfies and add the funny filters that are available. My kids do this with Grandma all the time and they have a ton of fun! Make sure your loved one would approve first.
- Make some bread for dinner and enjoy the aroma it creates.
- Bake a cake or cupcakes and frost it any way you want. Add food coloring or use tips and bags for different designs. Don’t set any rules, just have fun with it!
- If the grandkids are around have a scavenger hunt, build a fort, blow bubbles, sing songs, or watch the babies play.
- Make a craft for an upcoming holiday, then give it away.
- Play an instrument or listen to songs that include an instrument your loved one used to play.
- Exercise, do a yoga move, walk, lift a can of vegetables (for weights), or dance. Move a little and have fun with it.
- Get in the car and take a mystery trip. End up getting ice cream, or lunch, or just a pretzel at a local store.
- Have a movie matinée. Look up trivia about the movie ahead of time and talk about it with your loved one.
- Have a spa moment. Paint nails, have a foot soaking party, or do facials together.