Silhouettes have been around for hundreds of years.
An older person will likely remember this craft and probably will have made one sometime in her lifetime. There are many techniques to making a silhouette, but this is one my children found the easiest to manage on their own. This is a great gift for a grandfather, grandmother, grand friend, or parents. Silhouettes can be done on any person or animal.
Here’s how to make a silhouette:
- Camera (We used an I-pad)
- Printer and copy paper
- Canvas (a canvas is your background which can be white cardstock or an actual canvas)
- Black and white paint
- Black paint marker
- Take a profile picture of a child, adult, or pet in front of a window or light source.
2. Print the picture.
3. Cut out the picture.
4. Using a pencil, trace the picture onto your white paper or canvas.
5. Outline the pencil tracing using a black paint marker.
6. Paint the inside of the silhouette with black paint.
7. Paint outside the silhouette using the white paint. (This step is optional, but it does clean up any over-painted edges and gives some texture.)
8.Let dry and give as a gift.