What do you remember about Autumn?
- Autumn was a time to celebrate the harvesting of crops and produce in the garden? Did your community celebrate harvest time? How did you celebrate it? If you were a farmer or gardener, what bounty did you harvest?
- girls were able to ask boys to the “Sadie Hawkins” dance in the fall? Who did you invite, or who invited you to the dance? What did you wear?
- you had the chore of raking up the leaves, but the fun of jumping in the pile?
- you couldn’t wait for football season? Which teams were your favorite? Which teams are your favorite today?
- you voted in November for your favorite politicians? Who has been your favorite President or leader over the years?
- Halloween was full of pranks like soaping windows and overturning outhouses as well as trick-or-treating, bobbing for apples, and carving pumpkins? How did you celebrate Halloween?
- instead of trick-or-treating, some communities celebrated by blocking off streets and had games, skating, races, and candy? How did your community celebrate?
- when fall harvest brought foods like apples and apple pie, pumpkins and pumpkin pie, squash, and cranberries? What was/is your favorite fall food?
- when hunting was a fall activity for many men and boys, and still is (women too)? If you hunted, what did you hunt for?
- Thanksgiving Day was a day you traveled to Grandma’s house where the whole family gathered? How did you celebrate Thanksgiving? Who was there? What dishes were served? What dishes were your favorite?
This post contains affiliate links below which means this site may earn a commission for purchases made at no extra cost to you.
Other Reminiscing Activities
- Coloring is a relaxing activity that is not only meant for children, but for adults too! Coloring scenes from Autumn can enhance reminiscing with an elder.