These Christmas trees are cute and simple to make.
For an older loved one who loves crafts, but may have difficulty understanding directions, this craft is an easy one to follow. Just prepare the cornstarch mixture for him or her, then help them dip the yarn into the mixture. They can then wrap the yarn or thread around a cone shape to make the tree. See more detailed directions below.
- Corn starch
- Mixing bowl and saucepan
- Cone shaped cardboard
- Plastic wrap
- Yarn or crochet thread
- Snow crystals or sparkle flakes (optional)
- Embellishments for your tree (optional)
- Boil 1 cup of water in a saucepan. Meanwhile, mix 4 teaspoons of corn starch and 4 teaspoons of water in a mixing bowl.
- After the water has boiled stir the cornstarch and water mixture into the boiling water stirring constantly until thickened, but not too thick. You may need to use more or less corn starch to make it just the right consistency. Remove from heat and let cool. It should be thickened, but still able to pour.
- First wrap your cone with a layer of plastic wrap. Otherwise your string will stick to the cardboard cone when it dries.
- The amount of yarn you use will depend on how full you want your Christmas tree to look. I used leftover yarn and thread from other projects. Dip your yarn or thread into the cooled cornstarch and water mixture. (I did not cut any length of yarn for this project until I was finished with my tree. I just dipped the yarn as I went.)
- Wrap your tree with the yarn around the cone shaped cardboard, starting at the top and wrapping your way down to the bottom. Wrap as close together as you wish. When you finish wrapping, cut your yarn. Your hands (or loved ones hands) will be wet and feel gooey with the cornstarch mixture. You will want to wash them off after you are done wrapping.
- Sprinkle your Christmas tree with snow crystals or sparkle flakes for a glittery look while the tree is still wet, if you choose.
- Let your tree dry.
- When the tree is dry, carefully remove the stiff wrapped yarn from the cone.
- Add embellishments to your tree, like a tree topper or ornaments, if you wish.
- Set your tree anywhere your loved one will enjoy it.