Creating a care package for an older friend or family member is a great way to stay connected.
It can provide for some items they may need and let’s him or her know you are thinking of them. It’s fun to receive and it’s fun to put together. Get the whole family involved in brainstorming ideas of what your loved one likes.
Here are some themes and holiday care packages to get you started.
- Get Well Care Package
- Birthday Care Package
- Anniversary (of marriage or other) Care Package
- Thinking of You Care Package
- St. Valentine’s Day Care Package
- Easter Care Package
- Mother’s Day Care Package
- Father’s Day Care Package
- Grandparent’s Day Care Package
- Halloween Care Package
- Thanksgiving Care Package
Here are some ideas you can include in your package, depending on your older friend or family members interests and likes, and depending on your theme.
- Food such as snacks, candy, chocolate, and homemade goodies
- Books such as a book of daily inspirations
- Games and puzzles such as Sudoku, mazes, crosswords, deck of cards, cribbage, checkers, or chess
- Letter writing materials like stationery, envelopes, stamps, pens, and pencils
- Spa materials like slippers, lotions, nail files, nail polish, makeup, and facial tissue
- Accessories such as a purse, jewelry, scarves, gloves, or hat
- Warm me up items like tea-pot, tea bags, hot cocoa mix, and fleece throws
- Gift card to a restaurant, store, movie theater, or coffee shop
- Other ideas include craft kit, movie, note pads, homemade gift from a child, nature items like sea shells or dried flowers (from the area where you live)
Arrange the items in a basket, gift bag, or gift box. Package it up and send it off.